Theses & Dissertations
The Libraries hold all UCT masters and doctoral theses. Honours theses are kept by the academic departments to which they were submitted.
UCT Masters and Doctoral theses:
All UCT theses are available online through UCT's institutional repository, Open UCT.
Theses from other South African Universities:
- Some South African universities make their theses available electronically–check our e-Theses Links page.
- For theses that are not available electronically, UCT users should request a loan via our Interlibrary Loans Department. Normally the issuing institution will lend a hard copy, but microfiche copies may be supplied.
- Check the lists of institutions on our ETD Links page — the thesis you need may be freely available on the web.
- If not available on the web, theses from other parts of the world may be borrowed via our Interlibrary Loans Department. To ascertain costs and delivery times, UCT users should contact Interlibrary Loans.
- Theses borrowed from the British Library are normally supplied on microfilm for a loan period of no longer than 3 weeks. Most users therefore prefer to purchase their own copies of international theses.
- Users who wish to purchase theses from international institutions can order them online from ProQuest’s Dissertation Express facility.
- If the required thesis is not available from Proquest the user should consult the web site of the university to which the thesis was submitted for ordering information or contact details.